Worst Sunscreens for Children
Worst Sunscreens For Children
As you might have guessed, the most common sunscreens used on children are the worst scoring on EWG’s list!
There are many sunscreens on the market and unfortunately many of them, if not most of them, should be avoided.
Thirty-seven products that are marketed towards children and parents earn the worst scores on the EWG Sunscreen Guide.
The highest scoring (worst scores) are based off the the following ingredients listed below. Many are aerosol sprays which can be more harmful.
- Retinyl Palmitate
- SPFs above 50+
What os Oxybenzone?
- Oxybenzone is commonly found in “sport” sunscreens. It can cross into the skin barrier and increase ESTROGEN in the body. This has been linked to hormone imbalances like endometriosis and decreased birth weights in newborns
What is Retinyl Palmitate?
- On sun-exposed skin, retinyl palmitate may speed development of skin tumors and lesions
What is wrong with SPF over 50?
- SPF stands for sun protection factor. This term only refers to UVB protection. UVBs burn the skin. This term does not consider UVA protection. UVA rays accelerate aging of the skin, can suppress immune system function and can increase cancer risk. The FDA is considering banning sunscreen products that are above 50+ SPF
How do aerosol sprays cause health issues?
- The FDA has expressed doubts about their safety and effectiveness but hasn’t banned them.
With all the above said, what are the worst scoring sunscreens for children?
- Banana Boat Kids Max Protect & Play Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100
- Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
- Coppertone Sunscreen Continuous Spray, Kids, SPF 70
- Coppertone Sunscreen Lotion Kids, SPF 70+
- Coppertone Foaming Lotion Sunscreen Kids Wacky Foam, SPF 70+
- Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70+
- CVS Baby Sunstick Sunscreen, SPF 55
- CVS Kids Wet & Dry Sunscreen Spray, SPF 70+
- Equate Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
- Hampton Sun Continuous Mist Sunscreen For Kids, SPF 70
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Spray, SPF 70+
- Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 70+
- Up & Up Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55
So, what are the best sunscreens for children?
- Adorable Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
All Good Kid’s Sunscreen, SPF 33
All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
ATTITUDE Little Ones 100% Mineral Sunscreen, Fragrance Free, SPF 30
babyhampton beach*bum sunscreen, SPF 30
Badger Kids Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30
Bare Belly Organics Baby Sunscreen, SPF 30
Belly Buttons & Babies Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen, Baby, SPF 30+
BurnOut Kids Physical Sunscreen, SPF 35
California Baby Super Sensitive Sunscreen, SPF 30+
COOLA Suncare Baby Mineral Sunscreen Unscented Moisturizer, SPF 50
Goddess Garden Kids Sport Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
Hampton Sun Sunscreen Lotion For Baby, SPF 45
Jersey Kids Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
Kiss My Face Organics Kids Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 30
Nurture My Body Baby Organic Sunscreen, SPF 32
Substance Baby Natural Sun Care Creme, SPF 30
Sunology Natural Sunscreen, Kids, SPF 50
Sunumbra Sunkids Natural Sunscreen, SPF 40
Thinksport for Kids Sunscreen, SPF 50+
TruKid Sunny Days Sport Sunscreen, SPF 30+PLEASE CLICK HERE to read more about the EWG and Sunscreen Safety for children!